DIY Overalls into OverSKIRT
(Just in case you missed our most recent email with an incredible deal on our curriculum, click HERE.)
Convert denim overalls that are too short into an overskirt using an old pair of jeans.
Things you will need:
- a pair of bibbed overalls
- a pair of jeans to cut the legs off of and “donate them” to the overalls
- a sewing machine with a Denim Needle (a Universal Needle should work, too)
I have just one suggestion: Try to use donor jean fabric that is the same approximate weight as the skirt. It is tempting to use just any old jeans you have lying around but the result is a stiff section of skirt that doesn’t drape or lay well.
- Seam rip (or frog-stitch) the inseam of the overalls.
- Lay the back seam over to one side.
- Clip to ¼ inch before the curve straightens.
- Lay cut flap down.
- Fold in raw edge of piece with seam, overlap over cut piece and pin.
- Stitch flap in place.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, & 7 on the front.
- Prepare the donor jeans by cutting the legs off at the approximate length needed to fill in the openings of both the front and the back of the future skirt.
- Fold under the raw edges of the skirt and pin the donor piece inside the opening. Straight stitch in place.
- Repeat on the back of the skirt. Trim off any excess fabric from the donor jeans. (BTW. The seam from the donor jeans does not have to be centered. It can be any way you want it.)
You did it!
We’ve joined some, or all, of the following hops to share our ideas this week: (Please visit one, or all, of these great sites for countless free project ideas and inspiration! If you are visiting from one of these great sites, thank you for coming!Your comments are truly appreciated.)
Visit us online for other great projects and products!
Browse and Shop: www.modestymatters.net
Entry filed under: DIY, Dresses, Girls, Girly / For Girls, Handmade, Home Life, Homeschool, Ladies, Patterns, Sewing, Simple. Tags: clothing, Curriculum, denim, DIY, girl, girls, MYO, Sew, Sewing, Upcycle.